In His Presence

"Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me; your right hand will hold me fast."
Psalm 139: 7-10
 
It is no secret that the holiday season is a tough time for many, myself included.  For me, growing up in a home that often was not the best situation for a young child, mixed with the damaged holiday seasons of my early adulthood in active addiction, the holiday seasons are a prime time for me and my family to struggle.  So many thoughts, feelings, and emotions arise from past hurtful events and circumstances.  These thoughts, feelings, and emotions, rather than being only temporary, can continue in a downward cycle, causing the current season to be stressful and even depressing.  I find it very ironic that in our culture, the very season we put so much effort into in order to feel happy and be joyful, is paradoxically the very most depressed and stressful time of year for most Americans.  We put such a strong effort into these few holidays and when expectations are not met, or things don't go just as planned, which is so often bound to happen, then out goes the joy and cheer we were so hoping for.  The problem is we try so hard, putting our efforts and hopes into the wrong things.  And for some of us, we can have that joy on the holidays that we worked so hard for, but wonder why we feel so empty the next day, or next week, once everybody is gone and the holiday is over.  We have become good at taking God's presence out of the season, and rather, filling the season up with things and events that we believe will bring joy.  The truth is that these things aren't bad in and of themselves, but we are missing the mark desperately.  It is very comforting to me to know that when I search for peace, joy, and comfort in all the wrong places, and inevitably I will come to a place where I feel empty because of it, I can be comforted by a portion of the Psalms above.  David tells us that there is nowhere we can go where God's presence isn't.  Even if we try so hard, whether on purpose or not, to push Him out, there is literally no where that He is not.  When we are at our high of highs, He is there.  When we are feeling at our lowest, He is there also.  And everywhere in between, He is there the entire time.  Use this time of year, where we can focus on what matters to us most, to usher in the presence of the Lord in your life.  Jesus promises us rest, when we rest in Him.  I know there is so much to do, we have kids, and families, and obligations, but we also are so limited in our own time, and our spirits are craving for the Holy Spirit.  Take time to pray and meditate on God's presence in your life today.  Take time to rest in Him, and be comforted knowing that He is with you literally wherever you go!  Love you all!  Praying for you and yours!  Have a blessed day, it's your choice!
                                                      Invited Into God's Presence | Landmark Journey Ministries

Comments