A "Witness" to Remember

"Behold, the copy of the alter of the Lord, which our fathers made, not for burnt offerings, nor for sacrifice, but to be a witness between us and you...The people of Reuben and the people of Gad called the alter Witness, 'For', they said, 'it is a witness between us that the Lord is God."
Joshua 22:28; 22:34
 
The eastern tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh were released and headed home after fulfilling their duties to their fellow Israelites on the west of the Jordan river.  After returning home they built an alter that is big enough to be seen by the western tribes on the other side of the Jordan river.  After seeing this rather large alter that was built, there then developed a misunderstanding.  The western tribes thought that the eastern tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh were simply making an alter to themselves and turning away from the one True God.  The scripture above is the explanation that the eastern tribes give to the western tribes about this alter.  The purpose of the alter was not to turn away from God, and it wasn't even for offerings, the purpose was to remember God, and who He is.  They ended up naming the alter "Witness", because it will serve as witness that the Lord is God.  The alter was for future generations to remember the Lord and all that He has done for them.  The alter would serve as a reminder so that they do not ever turn from God, but rather are drawn closer to worship and serve Him.  The alter of "Witness" served as a large landmark that showed the future generations, even the ones that could see it across the river, that the Lord is God, and they will love Him and serve Him with all their heart, and with all their soul.  The main downfall of the nation of Israel is the same pitfall that we fall into so easily today.  We cry out to the Lord in our struggle, in our turmoil, in our trial.  He then is faithful to give us everything we need to get through it on the other side.  And then we so quickly forget Him.  We forget to love Him.  We forget to serve Him.  We forget to put Him first, to praise Him, to wake up and worship His name, thanking Him for another day to follow Jesus!  Do you have an alter of "Witness"?  What is it in your life that can serve as a reminder of all that the Lord has done for you?  For me, in my morning meditation, I think about the worst time in my life, the bottom in my addiction.  I have one particular scene in mind.  I don't dwell on it, I don't stay there, but it serves as my reminder that the Lord is God, that He is faithful, just, and loving!  It serves as a reminder to me that I have a purpose in following Jesus.  My alter reminds me that God came a pulled me out of the depths and into His marvelous light!  When I think about my "Witness", it drives me to love and serve the Lord!  Today, pray and remember all the the Lord has done for you.  Meditate on His goodness, love, mercy, and grace in your life.  Love you all!  Praying for you and yours!  Have a blessed day, it's your choice! 
                                                    Grace Dental and Medical Missions (GDMMissions): Being a Silent Witness

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your insights and encouragements, Tony. My alter - My witness - I remember two times the Lord literally saved my life from being ended at the hands of another. God is so faithful. His faithfulness to me drives me to share His love and mercy and grace to others! Love Him so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment